Warfighting strategy to change after US loses war games to China

GEAR CHECK: Our readers don't just follow the news - they stay ready. Featured gear from this story is below.

Dylan Lassiter

The U.S. military plans to change its warfighting strategy after getting its “ass handed to it” by China in war games conducted last fall.

In 2018, the National Defense Strategy Commission (PDF) found mounting concerns about the U.S. military’s ability to handle China in a war over Taiwan.

To avoid a potential failure, the Department of Defense (DoD) has announced it is reorienting the way it wages war.

“Expanded maneuver” is what the DoD has termed their new strategy.

U.S. Secretary of Defense James N. Mattis meets with China’s Minister of Defense Gen. Wei Fenghe at the People’s Liberation Army’s Bayi Building in Beijing, China, on June 28, 2018. (DoD photo by Army Sgt. Amber I. Smith)

The value of war games

Last week, Air Force Gen. John E. Hyten spoke on the new strategy at the National Defense Industrial Association’s Emerging Technologies Institute.

Gen. Hyten said, “Expanded maneuver involves understanding how adversaries can operate in all domains and how to stop them while protecting DOD and coalition forces.”

This shift comes after multiple reports pertaining to failed war games conducted during the fall of 2020. In the simulations, China won every time.

Following his acknowledgement of the need for change, Hyten said, “In today’s world, with hypersonic missiles, with significant long-range fires coming at us from all domains, if you’re aggregated and everybody knows where you are, you’re vulnerable.”

Expeditionary warfare, or, warfighting with aggregated units positioned away from bases, has been determined as the main cause for failure.

The US has long upheld this strategy in previous wars, but in theaters where China reigns, the plan appears to be faulty.

An example of a life-like miniature model of a war zone to help wargamers have the best training available. (Photo by Chavonne Ford, contractor in support of FD/MCWL Wargaming)

Four major changes
 

There are four areas being altered by the expanded maneuver strategy. These are: contested logistics, joint fires, joint all-domain command and control, and information advantage.

Logistics in a contested environment is never an easy task, especially when it is contested by a near peer rival like China.

“Contested logistics has been an area of rich study, rich conversation, and we’re changing our entire logistics approach because of it.” Hyten commented.

When it comes to joint fires, the goal is to leave the enemy befuddled. This is done by opening up the range of choices for where to fire from and who can fire.

By opening up all attack options, an adversary is left with no ability to predict the order by which that would happen.

For command and control, the DoD is looking to its new cloud initiative. The cloud service is called the Joint Warfighting Cloud Capability (JWCC).

The JWCC initiative seeks to unify information for the sake of making warfighting decisions faster than ever.

Similar to command and control, the fourth shift is in information advantage. This change seeks to enable interoperability across the joint force and with allies and partners.

The new cloud will not only allow for faster decisions on behalf of the U.S. It will also give allies that capability.

However the new configuration may play out, it is more important than ever to acknowledge and learn from the weaknesses of prior strategies.

Also Read: Hacking Back: Cyber Command lawyer pushes for speedier military responses

You may also like

Blog

President Donald Trump has ordered the Pentagon to “substantially reduce” joint military exercises with South Korea, just as the annual Ulchi Freedom Shield drills began on August 17. Trump cited the cost of the exercises, Seoul’s refusal to support U.S. actions against Iran and his relationship with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.
A U.S. Army armored force faced Ukrainian drone operators during the Combined Resolve exercise in Germany this spring, and the results exposed how difficult it can be for conventional armored formations to survive in a battlefield dominated by reconnaissance and FPV drones. The exercise has given American commanders another real-world lesson from Ukraine's war with Russia.
President Donald Trump reportedly left a NATO summit in Turkey aboard a smaller military aircraft after U.S. intelligence detected a credible Iranian threat against his aircraft. The elaborate deception reportedly involved Trump being moved from Air Force One in a catering truck while journalists and some White House staff remained aboard the presidential jet.
Iran’s Supreme Leader Mojtaba Khamenei has filled six senior military positions created or left uncertain after commanders were killed during the U.S.-Israeli war that began on February 28. The reshuffle puts experienced IRGC figures into key positions while giving Ali Abdollahi control of Iran’s top military command structure.
New Orleans has begun using artificial intelligence to handle a limited category of 911 calls, marking a major step in the automation of emergency communications. Officials say the system is designed to prevent human dispatchers from being overwhelmed by duplicate calls during major incidents, while critics warn that even limited AI involvement could create risks when every second matters.

Like This Story? Check Out What Our Community Is Buying

Our best sellers are designed for real-world use - not hype.

View Best Sellers