index

Okinawa Rallies Against U.S. Military Sexual Assaults Amid Ongoing Tensions

GEAR CHECK: Our readers don't just follow the news - they stay ready. Featured gear from this story is below.

Staff Writer

Okinawa residents protest U.S. military sexual assaults and demand changes to Japan-U.S. Status of Forces Agreement.

Over 2,500 people gathered in Okinawa City on Sunday to protest against sexual assaults by U.S. servicemen stationed in Okinawa Prefecture. The demonstrators demanded apologies and compensation for victims, prompt disclosure of information on such incidents, and revisions to the Japan-U.S. Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA), which governs U.S. military personnel in Japan. Ā 

"Sexual violence that tramples on the dignity of women and children should never occur," stated Junko Iraha, head of a local citizens' group and part of the rally's organizing committee. Participants wore yellow clothing and ribbons symbolizing the mimosa flower, which represents International Women’s Day. The event was broadcast live to other venues, including Ishigaki and Miyakojima, and streamed online. Ā 

Okinawa Governor Denny Tamaki expressed the need for stronger opposition to the continued presence of U.S. military bases, stating, "Many residents of the prefecture are forced to coexist with U.S. military bases amid anxiety." Ā 

The protests were reignited following the indictment of Brennon Washington, a U.S. Air Force member stationed at Kadena Base, on charges of sexually assaulting a girl earlier this year. The case, revealed in June, along with other incidents, has intensified public outrage in Okinawa. Ā 

Sorane Sakihama, a 22-year-old college student, voiced concerns about the impact of the military bases on young Okinawans, asking, "Do we have to be deprived of our youth because we were born in Okinawa and there are bases?" Ā 

Okinawa has a history of protests against crimes involving U.S. military personnel. In 1995, outrage erupted after three U.S. servicemen abducted and sexually assaulted a schoolgirl, with the U.S. military initially refusing to hand over the suspects under SOFA terms. That incident led to a rally attended by around 85,000 people. Similarly, a 2016 case involving the rape and murder of a 20-year-old office worker by a U.S. military contractor spurred a rally with 65,000 participants. Ā 

Protests have also extended to issues like the relocation of Futenma Air Station to Henoko in Nago and the deployment of U.S. Osprey transport aircraft. Ā 

Keiko Itokazu, co-chair of the civic group All Okinawa and a speaker at the 1995 rally, emphasized the importance of such gatherings to convey public sentiment and foster unity. However, she expressed frustration over the lack of change, saying, ā€œNothing has changed. How many more times must we protest?ā€ Ā 

The ongoing rallies highlight the tension between Okinawa residents and the U.S. military presence, which remains a contentious issue in the prefecture.

You may also like

Blog

The United States approved a $45 million Hellfire missile sale to Denmark while political tensions and rhetoric continue over Greenland’s strategic future.
A U.S. Navy destroyer collided with a supply ship during a risky at-sea replenishment operation in the Caribbean, injuring two sailors while both vessels remained operational.
Two people were arrested after a large stone-throwing brawl involving reckless driving and an electric chainsaw broke out near a construction site in Ofakim, police said.
An 18-year-old suspect fatally shot eight people, including family members and six victims at a British Columbia secondary school, before dying by suicide, authorities said.
A retired Navy veteran with terminal cancer was granted his wish to see The Eagles perform in Las Vegas after his son’s outreach prompted support from the band and the Bellagio.

Like This Story? Check Out What Our Community Is Buying

Our best sellers are designed for real-world use - not hype.

View Best Sellers